Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Role reversal

Aahh! I need life to slow down! Just a little...even for a little while. We have not had an evening at home since...I can't even remember! I know there must have been a Thursday a couple of weeks ago when we didn't have to be anywhere, but I don't remember which Thursday that was. I was so looking forward to having nothing to do last night, but then we got called in to help out at a local food bank that our home church has started to support. Not that I wasn't glad to go, or was ungrateful for the opportunity to live the compassion we often talk about, but gee whiz!

It's gotten bad enough that we're considering hiring someone to clean our apartment for us, because we never seem to have the time to do it properly ourselves. I never thought I would see that happen - I used to be the person who cleaned other people's houses! Part of me sees it as a defeat of some sort. After all, it's not an overly large apartment - shouldn't TC and I be able to keep it clean between the two of us? But the larger part of me recognizes that I'm in a place where I need to give something up or I'm going to go slightly batty, and cleaning my own home just doesn't seem to be as important as spending time with the people I care about, doing my part to try and make the world a better place, and still having time to do some of the things that I want to do.

No comments: