Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Need to vent!

I promise that I won't make a habit of this, but nobody is home and I just need to get this off my chest! Why is it that so many otherwise intelligent people seem to be unable to follow simple instructions? If, for example, I sent you an email like this:

Due to a system crash, any information in database XYZ that was entered since day A has been lost and needs to be re-entered manually. Please resend the information to this email address: HYPOTHETICAL (AT) SITUATION.COM. We apologize for any inconvenience, etc.

How would you send the information? Would you: a) call me and leave a 15 minute message on my voicemail, b) send me an email with the info, or c) send the info via email to the underlined, bolded, all caps email address clearly stated as the correct address? Well, in the office where I work, which is supposedly populated by the cream of the crop, you do either a or b! So the people I work with must either be incapable of sending emails, too stupid to read or else too lazy to type an email address, opting to just hit 'reply' instead! I was in a meeting all day after sending out this email, and had to stay an extra 45 minutes after work to forward all the email and voicemail messages that I had received to the correct person. Argh!

Okay, I'm feeling a little better now. Sometimes a girl just needs to vent.

No comments: