Monday, January 7, 2008

A Surfeit of Bag Dispensers


Inspired by the messy pile of bags that has been accumulating in one corner of our pantry, I made it my project this weekend to find a crochet pattern for a plastic bag dispenser. I finally found one here, and after making some alterations to the pattern they were so much fun to make that I went a little overboard. I therefore need to find a home for an extra that I made, which is where you, o loyal blog readers, come in. If you find yourself overrun by the plastic bags that your environmental conscience won't let you throw away, or you know someone on your gift-giving list who is, post a comment with an idea on how to reuse those plastic bags and on Saturday morning I'll put all the names in a hat (or bowl, or something) and pick a winner, to whom I will send the bag dispenser pictured above :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, your bag bag is lovely!! My bag bag is not so lovely... it was one of my first projects and I didn't want to use good yarn, so it kind of looks like cotton candy on speed. I'll post a picture sometime.

As for the plastic bags - the good sized ones we use for garbage bags. The clear produce bags (and we have sooo many!) I stick in my coat pocket so that I have them when I go to the grocery store.

Annie said...

I have a friend (you might have met Sue?)who uses her bags to fill cushions. She finds the covers at Frenchy's and fills them with all the plastic bags she can find. It actually works quite well.

We just pile them under the kitchen sink until we can reuse them for our garbage cans and other carrying needs.

I found this link to a website of crochet patterns using plastic bags instead of yarn I thought you might like it.

http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowArticles.aspx?NavID=593

For the sake of the state of my plastic bag cupboard I hope to win!