Friday, January 4, 2008

Resolving...

I'm not a big believer in making New Year's resolutions, but I am a believer in constantly trying to challenge yourself to become a better person. So along those lines, there are some areas in my life that I will be trying to improve either myself or the world around me in tangible ways in the coming year:
  1. Finances: We have been so blessed with resources in this area, and I don't think it's because we're supposed to have lots of things. To that end, we are going to be actively budgeting and trying to live wisely and simply so that we can share a greater proportion of those resources with people who need them more than we do.

  2. Food:This is an area that we have been working on since we started fending for ourselves, and while there has been some improvement, there is always room for more! For me this is going to take the form of having no more than one serving of sweets and/or baked goods each day. For his part TC has sworn off pop, except for an occasional diet version.

  3. Fun: I want to cross one of the things off of my 'to-do-before-I-die' list this year, whether it's going on a ride in a hot-air balloon, having a glass of wine at an outdoor cafe in Paris, or one of the many other things on the list (which I shall have to post by-and-by).

  4. Fellowship: I have finally come to the realization that friendships do not just happen here in TO. I know that sounds like a bit of a no-brainer, but the reality is that in every other community where we have lived, we were able to form significant friendships without really trying too hard. That has not been our experience here, for whatever reason (and I have several theories). So, I shall be going out of my way to get to know people this year. I'm not talking about strangers, but the people that I already 'know' but don't really 'know', you know? Stepping up my efforts to crack through the Toronto-shell that everyone has developed.

I had better stop there, before I start sounding too ambitious - if I haven't crossed that line already. It will be interesting to look back next year and see how I've done :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your point on friendships - University was so easy!

African Kelli said...

I like these! Great reminders. For me, the fellowship is an easy one. The not overeating or shopping galore is more difficult. I am constantly reminding myself that both are not what Jesus would want me to do. Some habits are hard to break!
It will be fun to watch you succeed in 2008.