Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Food Week - Supper (or is it Dinner?)

I have to say, I'm loving Food Week so far! People are posting such yummy recipes. Thanks for hosting this, Sherrie :)

Today's recipe is supposed to be for supper, so I thought I'd post the recipe for the pasta dish that I made last night. It's relatively new to me, but it's already becoming one of our favourites. Oddly enough, the recipe was created by Colin Mochrie, who apparently likes to cook. It's super easy (less than half an hour from start to finish), and impressive-looking enough to serve as a company dinner :) Anyhoo, here's my version of it:

Chicken & Leek Linguini (or whatever pasta you have on hand - I used fusilli this time)

4 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter
3 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced (you can use more or less, depending on how much you like garlic)
1 big can of diced tomatoes, with juices
1-2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning
1 pound linguini, freshly cooked
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Fresh basil, chopped

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet and saute until just cooked through, about 3minutes per side. Cool slightly. Thinly slice chicken crosswise and set aside.

Melt the butter and remaining olive oil in same skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and garlic and saute until leeks are very tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, chicken and Italian seasoning. Cook until mixture is just heated through, about 2 minutes. Just before you're ready to serve, stir in the Parmesan cheese.

Serve chicken mixture over the cooked pasta, and sprinkle with basil.

5 comments:

Stacey J. said...

I'm totally making this!!!! YUMMMMM

Kathy said...

This is a hit with me, love this combination, thanks.

Anonymous said...

pasta on my plate too ~ yours sounds so unusual and what a nice presentation it makes...having fun seeing all this great food!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Thanks so much for posting this Sarah. I love pasta. This one is a keeper for me.

Alli said...

We don't eat much pasta but this one we will definitely try!!! Thanks!