Monday, February 16, 2009

Food Week - Breakfast

It's day one of Food Week, which Sherrie G is hosting and I'm super-excited about participating in. Every day this week I'll be posting one of my favourite recipes that matches the category chosen by Sherrie, as will the other participants - so tune in for some yumminess this week!

Today's category is breakfast, and my absolute favourite thing to make for breakfast is my grandmother's biscuits. It's a super simple recipe, and takes less than half an hour to whip up. Here it is:

Grammy B's Biscuits

3 cups flour (I often do a mix of 1 cup whole wheat, 2 cups white flour)
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cream of tartar (scant)
1 tsp. baking soda (scant)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups milk (scant)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening with a pastry knife until crumbly. Gradually add the milk, trying not to overmix the dough, until everything has pulled together (you probably won't need the full amount of milk). Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat down to an approx. 1" width. Cut out in whatever shape/size you desire (I use a small juice glass). Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.

3 comments:

Alli said...

I love biscuits!! Thanks for the recipe!

Stacey J. said...

Thanks for the recipe!! My husband always loves biscuits!

Sherrie said...

This is the same recipe we have from Adam's Nana! It is perfect, even when we make it with butter rather than shortening. :)