Friday, February 20, 2009

Food Week - Dessert

Sorry I missed yesterday's Food Week theme - it was supposed to be a vegetarian dish, and I would have posted one but things at work just exploded (figuratively speaking), so I didn't have time. And I don't really have much time today, but being the absolute dessert-lover that I am, I have to share this one with you all :) It's my new favourite, because it makes me think of spring and sunshine and picnics and meadows - and it can be made all year round!

Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp

Filling:
4 cups rhubarb pieces (fresh or frozen)
2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
2 Tbsp. cornstarch (if using frozen fruit, add an extra tablespoon or so)
1/2 cup sugar (this leaves it pretty tart, so you can add more)

Topping:
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. orange zest
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup cold butter

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Mix the rhubarb and strawberries in a 7-1/2" x 11" baking dish (or whatever approx. size you have on hand). Add cornstarch and sugar; mix well.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, orange zest and nutmeg. Using a pastry knife, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until it's crumbly.

Sprinkle the topping over the fruit mixture. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden brown. If you're using frozen fruit, it can take up to an hour - you just have to keep an eye on it.

Serve with ice cream - bon appetit!



[You can find links to all the other participants' recipes here.]

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

Yum! This is one of my favourites, too. :)

Stacey J. said...

Rhubarb is my favorite as well!! Thanks for reminding me to make it!!!