Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Some updates...and a life lesson...


The amaryllis is continuing to grow, though it didn't make it to maturity by Christmas as I was hoping it would. Still, I'm really enjoying how you can see a little growth each day. On the crafting front, I've wrapped up all of the little projects that I've been working on (no pun intended), but I always have one or two big projects on the go. Right now I'm crocheting away at this afghan:


I ran out of the dark blue yarn while working on it this afternoon, so I decided that we needed to go get some more right away. Off we went to Wal-mart (a store that I am morally conflicted about shopping in, and yet I keep going back - it's like the crack of the department store world), where we of course discovered that there were some other things we needed too (darn that place!). By the time we left, our shopping gears were all fired up, so we decided that mid-afternoon on Boxing Day would be a great time to look for a dresser for our guest room, where my cousin will be living for the next four months.
.
We began by looking in every store near the Wal-mart that we thought might have dressers, but we were thwarted at every turn. It was then that we decided to make the journey out to the nearest Ikea - a trip that took forever because we had to pass the Yorkdale mall enroute. Why would that make it take forever? Because there were so many people going to the mall that we sat at an intersection through 5 green lights because there was no room to advance. As far ahead as we could see, there was nothing but bumper-to-bumper traffic. We proceeded to sit through at least 5 green lights at every intersection. Grr... We finally made it to Ikea, and we did find a dresser that we liked very much, which TC has begun assembling this evening, so it all turned out to be worthwhile. I'll post a picture once he's finished.
.
The moral of the story? Never try to buy a dresser on Boxing Day! I don't know what we were thinking :)

No comments: