Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Amaryllis update


We have life! My amaryllis has started to grow, which excites me very much. Probably too much :) I was kind of hoping it would bloom by Christmas, but I don't think it will since that's only 14 days away. We put our Christmas parcels in the mail today, which I hope was soon enough for them to get down home in time.

I had the preliminary interview today for the junior supervisory position that I mentioned earlier. It was a bit of a waste of time, since I already work for the company and have therefore already gone through the preliminary screening process, but for the sake of fairness every applicant has to do it. I therefore travelled 45 minutes from the office I work in to one of our other GTA offices, sat in the reception area for 10-15 minutes, was interviewed for another 10-15 minutes and then travelled 45 minutes back to my office just in time for my lunch break. On the bright side, I was told that I am definitely going to be one of the candidates for the major interview sometime next week. Woo hoo!
So what am I going to do with the rest of my evening? Sorting through this:

Two months' worth of receipts. Ugh. Everything gets entered into our budget spreadsheet, a relatively new endeavour prompted by the realization that I really don't know how much we spend on things. I do have a general idea, but it helps to have a definite figure to look at. It's been a very enlightening process.

8 comments:

Mitchell DeWare said...

Oooh, oooh! I have a spreadsheet too! Whitney makes fun of me because I ask for a receipt for everything I spend, but I like to think it makes me responsible and a good steward.

I have the whole thing set up according to my income (duh) and then I budget everything. Then I simply input a receipt and it automatically totals that account and manages the budget as a whole too!

Enough of that ...

Sarah C said...

Wow! That sounds really effective. All I'm doing at this point is keeping track of what we're spending. After a couple of months I'll hopefully be able to come up with a realistic budget.

Do you use some sort of budget software, or is it something you made for yourself with excel?

Mitchell DeWare said...

I made it in excel myself - I can send it to you if you want to see if it's useable. I can tell you how it works easy enough.

Sarah C said...

That would be great - thanks Mitch!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Maureen and I keep track of every cent too! Woo hoo for all of us! And let me say, very good job on the plant... Bulbous!

Sarah C said...

Why thank you, Nick :)

Anonymous said...

I love a budget! We use a program called KMyMoney (which is free because it's open source). And after the initial start up (which was a bit of a task) it works quite well. It keeps categories, which are handy, so I can tell how much we spend on frivolities vs. things like groceries.

As for the amaryllis, I don't just wonder if it'll bloom - they sprout up so fast!

Sarah C said...

I never knew there were so many avid budgeters out there :) Thanks for all the comments guys!