Wednesday, December 5, 2007

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree...

Yay! Our tree is now up and decorated and making our apartment smell like Christmas! Have I mentioned yet how much I enjoy the Christmas season? It's always been a special time of year for me. I'm a little less excited this year, though, since it's the first year that we won't be able to go home at all. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it will be nice not to have to spend a chunk of Christmas travelling - Pearson airport is definitely not somewhere you want to be this time of year. But on the other hand, we won't be near any family and most of our friends will be home visiting their families, which kind of sucks. I think we'll make out alright, though. If nothing else, this year will be a good reminder that Christmas isn't really about celebrating family, which is what it has become for a large part of our society.

On a related note, we discovered something amazing about our tree after we brought it home from the lot (an adventure in and of itself, involving carrying the 7' tree down six city blocks on a very cold and windy evening). We knew when we bought it that the tree was from Nova Scotia, but then we were removing the tag from the bottom of it and saw that it had been grown by Delong Farms of New Germany, NS - which is where I lived for the first 8 years of my life! How neat is that? Although we can't go home for Christmas, a little bit of home has come to us :)

I'll try to get a picture of the tree on here as soon as we figure out why our camera isn't working. Do any of you photography-inclined people know why a camera would say that it 'cannot use this memory card' when it was using it just fine several seconds earlier? It will work without the card, but then we can only take a couple of pictures before the memory is full. The card isn't full, and it won't even let us download the images that were on it. Grr...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shortly after Nick and I were married we stopped travelling at Christmas. Neither of us had enough time off to justify all the time/expense of trips home. Plus, trying to juggle two families in different parts of the province wasn't very fun.

I've really been enjoying our new Christmas' traditions. It's quieter, more peaceful, definitely different than the Christmas mornings I grew up with. I like it now, although I definitely miss the family and all the chaos and laughs of home.

Sherrie said...

Hi Sarah!

If the camera will let you reformat the card, that should do the trick. But if it won't let you do anything with the card, it sounds like it's corrupt. So says Adam. :)

Sarah C said...

Thanks, Sherrie (and Adam):). It looks like we're going to have to get a new card.