Monday, November 12, 2007

Conscious positivity

This is definitely one of those days... I slept through my alarm this morning, leaving myself 20 minutes to get ready for work and get out the door. I then managed to zone out on the subway to such an extent that I missed my stop and had to get off at the next one and backtrack, which made me late. It's a cold, wet, miserable day - the grey kind of day when it's not really raining, but is misting so heavily that it wreaks havoc on your hair and you wish it would just rain and get it over with.


So to counteract all this negativity, I want to share 2 things that happened recently which reminded me of what I like about living in Toronto. One of the things that I like is the diversity of people and experiences in this city. I was reminded of this last night when I was invited to supper with some friends, one of whom is from Zimbabwe. She cooked us a traditional meal of oxtail and cornmeal, which has a name that I can't really remember but was very yummy. We ate with our hands - a new, messy and fun experience for me. I've only known this woman for a couple of months, but I have already learned so much from her.

Another thing that I like about living in Toronto is that you never know what you're going to see. This morning on the streetcar on my way to work I saw what I thought was a cyclist going down the sidewalk, which isn't that unusual a sight, but the more I looked at him the more it seemed that something wasn't quite right. As he came closer I realized that he wasn't riding a bike, he was riding a unicycle! And I thought, if I could ride a unicycle I would ride it to work every morning too :-)

No comments: