Thursday, May 22, 2008

Birthday musings


I have now officially been on this earth for 28 years. Yesterday, as some of you already know, was my birthday, and as I was walking to work I was struck by how much I have been blessed in that relatively short amount of time.

I was born into an incredibly loving, supportive family that taught me so many important lessons about life and how to live it, in a country where I am free to pursue whatever avenues I wish to pursue, either professionally or personally, without fear of reprisal.

In the 28 years that I've experienced so far, all the people that I care about have enjoyed relatively good health. That's not to say that we haven't experienced tragedy, but there has been little suffering.

I've been able to travel to different parts of the world and see how people from other cultures live.

I've made some wonderful friends, the kind that time and distance seem to have no effect on. Whenever we're together, it's like no time has passed at all.

I somehow managed to find a wonderful man, who has for some reason agreed to share a life with me. And more than that, he does all he can to make that life a wonderful one.

We have known both the freedom that comes with having next to nothing, and the joy that comes with having enough to share with others.

Not too bad for 28 years, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely cupcakes! (And what a lot to celebrate!)

Annie said...

Bonne Fete en retard! Sorry I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to remembering birthdays! I even forgot to wish Matthew a happy one before he left to take a course in Digby. He's turning 31 today!!!

The Orthodox have a wonderful song for such things,"God grant you many years." I'm singing it for you.