Friday, February 1, 2008

Hats, Streetcars and Unexpected Sweetness...

Happy February! We're ringing it in here in Toronto with a good old-fashioned snow storm. I wish I could have stayed home to enjoy it, but the age of the snow day is no more - at least for me :) I saw something on my way home from work, though, that warmed my heart and made it all worthwhile. On the streetcar portion of my commute I was sitting behind a lady who had a beautifully hand-knit hat made from a scruptious-looking chocolate brown and rich burgundy variegated yarn. As I was sitting there admiring her hat, she noticed that the older gentleman sitting next to her was travelling with the older lady sitting in front of him, and she offered to trade seats with her so that they could sit together. He declined since they were getting off in a couple of stops, but he and the lady with the scrumptious hat then proceeded to have a friendly conversation until the time came for the gentleman and his lady friend to get off. I don't know what it was about that little scene that made me so happy. Maybe it was seeing two people who had never met before connect in some small way - something that happens so rarely in this city. But it does happen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a theory (unproven) that people are friendlier in winter. Maybe it's the survival mode that brings us together, or maybe that people give themselves more time to commute and are less harried, or maybe they're just not sweaty and uncomfortable from the summer... but I'm glad you saw some goodness in transit.

Sarah C said...

They all sound very plausable. I would have to say, though, that it is mostly related to the "survival mode" that everyone in this city goes into whenever it snows - it's always perceived as a crisis, regardless of the amount. After all, they did call in the army after a snowstorm a while ago, which the rest of Canada will never let them forget. It's nice to know, though, that a crisis (however minor in reality)can bring out the best in people :)