Thursday, February 28, 2008

Blessings in disguise

I shall never cease to be amazed at how life always seems to balance itself out somehow. You see that list typed out so quickly below? Were you able to pick up on the frantic insanity that has been my life lately? The laboured breathing of someone who has been running full tilt for far too long but can't stop because the finish line is so close and there are so many people depending on her (including herself)? I think I was going to explode when God sent an unlikely gift our way - a bout with some type of respiratory flu.

What kind of gift is that, you might wonder - well, let me enlighten you. Because of said flu, which left me a coughing, miserable, feverish, voiceless, dizzy, mucus-filled wretch all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and is now performing the same wonders for the TC, we have both been forced not only to slow down, but to stop and do absolutely nothing but watch movies and blow noses for 3-4 days. And this was perfectly acceptable because nobody else wants our germs! No one expects you to attend 5 meetings in 3 days when you can't breathe. No one expects you to get all your housework done when getting up off the couch to put a movie in takes all your strength. And best of all, no one expects you to be able to conjugate verbs in another language when you can't form a functional sentence in your own. I don't even expect it of myself! Being sick gave me the permission I needed to take it easy for a while.

I can't believe it, but I'm actually thankful for the flu!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the most optimistic flu victim I've ever heard. Hope you rest up and feel better soon!!

Sarah C said...

Attitude is everything :)

We're actually both feeling much better now, thanks Maureen!