Thursday, February 7, 2008

Snow, snow and more snow...

Okay, I'm all for snow but this is ridiculous! It has been snowing here in Toronto for the last 3 days, and it's not supposed to stop until next week (although it is supposed to taper off a bit). I even experienced something that I've never experienced before - did you know that you can have thunder and lightning during a snowstorm? I didn't until last night.

I find it rather funny that Toronto freaks out whenever they get snow. I mean, yes it's been snowing for 3 days, but we've still only accumulated about a foot and a half of the stuff. For most of the rest of the country, that's nothing! But because Toronto doesn't usually get a lot of snow, they aren't prepared for it when it comes. It's the only city I know of that has called in the army to shovel it out - and even then it was only 15cm! I mentioned that to a colleague, and they replied by saying that unlike the rest of the country, the Canadian economy loses 4 billion dollars for each day that Toronto is shut down because of snow. I didn't say anything, but my thoughts went along the lines of 'The rest of the country doesn't let a bit of snow stop it from going to work'. Can you imagine what would happen if Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax shut down every time they got more than a few inches of snow? Nobody would have to work from December to April! Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea...

1 comment:

CrazyEnigma said...

Well. That is a good assessment. We missed it out here. In fact, we hardly got any. It's too bad Toronto thinks that way. The center of the universe has to halt sometime!!!