Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Holistic housework

Well, I'm now somewhat caught up on the housework...actually, come to think of it, I'm not really caught up so much as I'm making progress, because the list has grown longer - much longer. We decided to rearrange the apartment on Sunday, and ended up creating a level of chaos that has rarely been seen in these parts. The aftermath is still evident, though it's mainly confined to the sunporch since I cleaned up after work today. The dishes and garbage are being attended to as I type, so that just leaves the laundry, cleaning the bathroom, dusting, vacuuming, and maybe at some point working on my French course.

Why is it that when you let one thing go, it seems so much easier to just let everything else go too? What is it about human nature that makes us such all-or-nothing creatures? Maybe it's just me - my life seems to vary between extremes lately. Or maybe we're just not built to be as compartmentalized as we like to think we are.

3 comments:

Mitchell DeWare said...

So, I'm the first to comment on your blog - yay me!

I think many poeple tend to do things in extremes, not so much compartments. Or maybe it's compartmentalized extremes ...

Sarah C said...

Congatulations on that dubious honour, Mitch :)

You're right. Why do you think we do that? And why do we seem to find moderation so difficult to maintain?

Mitchell DeWare said...

I think it's because we want to be good at everything, we want everything to be perfect. We're longing for that, deep, deep inside :) So, we at least try it in some areas of life, where we have control ...