Friday, September 12, 2008

Testing my resolve...

Remember how I've sworn off sweets for the month of September? I'm happy to report that things are going relatively well in that department. I've only made 2 exceptions to my sugary embargo - one for a piece of birthday cake (I didn't want to be rude), and one for the best brownies on the face of the earth. Seriously, people, you need to try these brownies. My friend J makes them, and I knew that she would be bringing them to home church on Wednesday, so I told myself that I was allowed to have some. After all, I'm only human!

What I didn't realize was that she would leave the leftovers for our home church hosts, who also host a games night every Thursday that I usually attend. And what were the snacks for games night? J's brownies. Who had to sit and watch everybody else rave over them while not being able to eat any? You guessed it - me!

On the plus side, J did give me her brownie recipe, and since I can't make them until October 1 (can you guess what I'll be doing that day?) you'll have to try them yourselves on my behalf. Here's the recipe - it's very simple, but oh so delicious!

J's Brownies

4 rows of President’s Choice extra dark or bittersweet chocolate from a 300 g bar
¾ c butter
2 c white sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c all-purpose flour

Line a glass 9” x 13” pan with parchment paper. Heat oven to 350. Microwave chocolate and butter in large, dry, microwaveable bowl in 30 second increments. Stir in between. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted.Stir sugar into melted chocolate until well blended. Stir in fork-scrambled eggs and vanilla until completely mixed. Mix in flour until well blended. Pour into pan.Bake until cake tester comes out clean (25-30 minutes). Allow to cool completely. Loosen edges, pull on parchment paper to lift brownies out of pan and onto cutting surface.

Bon appetit!

No comments: