Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lest We Forget indeed!

I sincerely dislike election time. Don't get me wrong - I'm grateful that I live in a country where the people elect their leaders. It's not always a perfect system, but I believe it's definitely one of the best. And I don't take my responsibility as a voting citizen lightly. Each time an election is called, I try to understand the issues and how each party addresses them so that I can make an informed decision.

There are aspects of the whole process that annoy the heck out of me, though. I hate the signs that start going up until every conceivable space is covered in red, blue, green, orange or whatever colour any independants are using. I hate answering the phone only to hear an automated voice telling me to vote for this party or that candidate.

But what I hate the most are TV ads like this one. I completely agree with everything Harper says, but it has nothing to do with whether or not I should vote for him. Instead, it makes me angry that any party would try to use the sacrifices made by our veterans for political gain. I'm supposed to watch this ad and think, Yes, I owe a debt of gratitude to our veterans. Wow, Harper feels the same way. He must be the best candidate for Prime Minister - I'll vote for him. I mean, come on! It's nothing more than a cheap attempt at emotional manipulation.

Shame on you, Mr. Harper!

1 comment:

CrazyEnigma said...

But I really feel sorry for the amount of media coverage that the folks to the South are subjected to just to get a President elected. Theirs has been going on for how long?!? And that was the primaries. What a waste of money, when they could have been spending it on more military agendas. And when I say military agendas, I meant that in a sarcastic way.