Friday, June 6, 2008

Gaining Perspective

I think...no, that's not right...I know that I should stress out a lot less than I do. I mean, if I really stop and think about it, no matter how busy I get, I know that I have been just as busy in the past and pulled through. It's just that I sometimes lose perspective and need to be reminded that there are bigger things than me and my problems out there.

Last night that reminder came in the form of a Toronto Symphony Orchestra concert that we attended with our friend JD. As we sat there and listened to the music, I was completely swept up in it. There were points when I had to remind myself to breathe, especially during the third piece that they played: John Corigliano's Symphony No. 2 for String Orchestra. It was such intense and moving music, so beautiful and haunting.

It was also great to reconnect with JD, who we went to university with and now works with a missions organization. She just returned from a trip to Bangladesh and had wonderful things to tell us about the work that is being done toward improving literacy among the women and children in that country, as well as the on-going translation of the Bible into their language. You can't help but realize how paltry your own problems (or at least my problems) are when you realize how much you have to be thankful for - the ability to read, the freedom to believe and worship as I choose, more food and clothing than I really need.

So what if I'm busy? :)

No comments: