Friday, June 26, 2009

Yummy Recipe Alert!

My folks have been up visiting this week, and it's been great! Mum flew up on Tuesday night, and then my dad, because he's a crazy person, drove the 1492 km (he counted) and arrived Wednesday night. Just in time for a heat wave and a garbage strike :)


I love it when they come visit, which doesn't happen nearly often enough. If you've been reading this blog for very long, you know that one of the things that bothers me most about living in Toronto is that my family is so very far away, so it means so much to be able to share this little bit of life with them. Unfortunately I couldn't take any time off work, for various reasons, but I have been able to leave early each day, and then there's the weekend to look forward to.


Yesterday when I came home after work, I discovered these on the kitchen counter:



One major benefit of having Mum come to visit! These are rhubarb biscuits, and they're the yummiest thing I've had in quite a while. And because she's a sweetie, Mum gave me the recipe :)


Mum's Rhubarb Biscuits


Biscuit:
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk
butter


In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until it's about the size of small peas. Stir in the milk, and then roll the dough out into a roughly rectangular shape (approx. 12" long). Spread entire surface with butter, being sure to get the edges too.


Filling:
3 cups rhubarb, very finely chopped
3/4 cup white sugar
3 Tbsp. flour


Combine the rhubarb, sugar and flour in a bowl. Sprinkle mixture over biscuit, and roll it up. Using a sharp knife, cut it into 1" thick slices and place in a 9x13" pan.


Sauce:
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups boiling water


Stir sugar and water together until dissolved, and then pour it over the pan of biscuits. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.


Happy Weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying it this weekend - thanks Sarah, and thanks to your mom too!
sharon

Annie said...

Hey! Say hello to your parents and thank your mom for the recipe. I'll have to try it though I haven't seen any rhubarb since we moved to NY. I guess you should say "hi" to TC as well :) Matt and I miss you both. I can't leave the US because of immigration policies but you guys will always be "bienvenue" in NY.

Sherrie said...

That looks fab! Unfortunately, we've discovered that Adam can't tolerate rhubarb, and I would rather not eat en entire pie or batch of biscuits. So as soon as I have an event to attend where I can share this, I'm trying it out! Thanks for sharing. :)

Alli said...

Sounds delicious!! I will have to give it a try!!!! Have a great visit with your folks!