Friday, March 6, 2009

Airing my dirty laundry?

Right now my house is a complete disaster - partly because we've both been sick off and on through the entire month of February, and partly because when we have been well, we've been frickin' busy! Looking around at the place this morning, the state of chaos struck me as so funny that I just burst out laughing. My mother and grandmother would be horrified! No one would be allowed anywhere near the house until everything was spic and span. So what do I do? Take pictures so I can show you folks the pig sty I call home at the moment, of course :) Where shall we begin in my little tour of shame...

How about the kitchen, where as you can see, the mess from a couple of meals is still sitting out on the various countertops - though in our defense, the milk is empty and all the leftovers have been put in the fridge. We're not quite that bad! Let's move on to...

...the dining room, which is currently the cleanest room in the apartment. The mess has been confined to the table, which we haven't been able to eat off of in quite some time. And the chairs are serving as impromptu drying racks for clothes that have been dry for a while but not put away yet, much like...

...most of the clothes you see here in the living room. There's also another load of clean clothes in the dryer in the basement which has been there since Tuesday - I really should go get them, but I haven't been home long enough to do so. Actually, only the clothes in the hamper underneath the yarn and jeans, and the sheets/sweater on the rocking chair are clean - the rest need to be washed. We've had to change and get ready in the living room for the past couple of days because...

...our shoes (as well as various and sundry odds & ends) exploded in the bedroom. Actually TC's temporary fix of the box spring fell apart in the middle of the night, so everything had to be pulled out from under the bed so we could put it on the floor again. I nearly killed myself when I got up to get a drink of water last night.

As you can see, life has been, and continues to be, a little chaotic right now, but you know what? I'm okay with that. This time last year I would have been stressing out about all the stuff going on, the state of my apartment and how much I have to do, but this year I'm just not worried about it. I think it's because I've finally come to realize that it's such a waste of time to worry about anything.

When it comes right down to it, I worry because I'm not in control, because I don't feel like I have a handle on things. But what I've come to realize is that that's okay. Ordering the universe is not my job, that's handled by someone who's much better at it than I am. My job is to become the best me that I possibly can, and insofar as I am able, to try and help others do the same. If accomplishing that means letting the housework slide for a little while, who cares? It's just not that high a priority.

That being said, though, if you're looking for me tonight, I'll be at home, cleaning up :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting those pictures! So often when I let things slide (and it happens more than I care to admit!) I compound the problem of mess with the problem of guilt about mess. That little voice in my head whispers, "Everyone else can keep a tidy house, why can't you?"

But, you're right. There's no sense worrying, we're all just trying to do our best.

Thanks for the encouragement - now it's time for me to stop surfing and get some of those dishes done...