Thursday, January 22, 2009

Comfort Week - Routine

Sherrie's challenge for today is to post about a behaviour/habit/routine that brings us comfort. To be completely honest, there are probably a million things that I do for the comfort it brings me, like every time I brew a cup of tea, or sit down to knit or crochet something, or bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies. (Actually, if I could sip a cup of tea and crochet between switching pans of cookies in the oven - I think I'd be in comfort heaven!)

But I've recently discovered a new routine that has fallen into place which is also very comforting, and I didn't realize it until this morning. As those of you who have been tracking along with me on this blog know, TC and I have had a rather difficult time making significant friendships since we moved to Toronto 3 years ago. In fact, it has only been in the last year that things have really progressed in this area, due in a large part to our new church.

The thought started last night as I put on a pair of slippers that I now keep at the home of some friends of ours. It hit me that the reason those slippers are there is that part of our routine is to be at their house at least twice a week, if not more, which is a rather remarkable thing. The couple whose house it is have become quite good friends of ours, and have made us feel so welcome in their home that it almost seems like a second home to us - so much so that TC no longer knocks before he goes in the door (although I'm trying to break him of that particular habit).

I guess it's not so much the behaviour/habit/routine of visiting these friends that I find comforting so much as the fact that it is a behaviour/habit/routine. Does that still count?

[Be sure to check out the posts of other Comfort Week participants, which you can find here.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course it counts! At least to me it does. :) Glad to hear you've made good friends.

Hungry Janey said...

That definitely counts. And it makes me feel warm and fuzzy too!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Sounds like you've found very nice friends.

Heidi said...

How did I miss your other posts?! It has many similarities to our own story =)

Austen said...

Toronto's a hard nut to crack, I agree, but it sounds like you've done it! Have you found any good diners in the city? I'm looking for an Ardmore replacement!