Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Stumbling into a Rabbit Hole

I rarely watch TV. Not that I don't watch TV shows, but I generally prefer to find a show that I like and then watch it on my own schedule on my computer or on DVD. For the past few weeks, though, TC has taken over our computer to watch every episode of The Office (a show I can't stand because it reminds me too much of work), so I've had to resort to flicking through the channels to find something interesting.

And there was a significant amount of flicking. Is it just me, or do most primetime shows that are on right now really bite? There seem to be only a few categories available:

  1. Crime shows, which have become rather predictable and have therefore come to rely on being shockingly graphic or twisted. The one exception I've noticed is NCIS, which tends to pay more attention to character development instead.
  2. Reality shows, which are farther from reality than most fictional shows.
  3. Dramas, which are essentially evening soap operas.
  4. Sitcoms, which are almost all variations of the same situation. The variation comes in the exact nature of the quirks possessed by the couple/family that are the main characters. Again, I do have an exception. TC and I both love Big Bang Theory.

And that's about it! There doesn't seem to be a lot out there, so I was thankful when I happened to stumble onto this program:

I had previously seen Tin Man, which was produced by the same people, and I highly recommend it as well.

What about you folks? Are there any shows that you would recommend to someone who's tired of the same old, same old?

PS - I feel the need to add that I only watch these shows while I'm working on some kind of craft - knitting, crocheting, embroidery and the like. Wouldn't want you to think I sit around doing nothing ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tin Man is one of our favorites, we have watched it many times! I like The Closer and Burn Notice (at least the first couple of seasons, but haven't seen more than that). We tend to watch more re-runs on Netflix than new shows....although if you like British TV my suggestions would be Dr. Who (starting in 2005-ish?) and Sherlock (brand new-- fantastic!). Wallander looked interesting as well--with Kenneth Branaugh.